In Ayurveda, eczema is considered as a skin ailment mainly characterized by spontaneous eruptions on the skin. Ayurveda deems eczema to mainly crop up due to dosha imbalance.
What is Eczema?
Eczema is a skin ailment where there is formation of extremely itchy papules or small vesicles, which generally start from the cheeks and spread to the other parts of the body. These eczema vesicles rupture, and the fluid oozes out leaving behind crusts which further dry out with residual pigmentation remaining.
Eczema in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, eczema is named as Vicharchika. This is believed to be a minor type of leprosy and is believed to be caused due to an aggravation of the ’Kapha’ dosha along with vitiation of the other two body humors: the ‘Vatta’ and ‘Pitta’ doshas.
Eczema is believed to be of two types – Dry eczema and Wet eczema. In dry type, there is no discharge. In wet type, water or fluid oozes out from the eruptions on the skin mainly by scratching.
Eczema Ayurveda Treatment
As in other skin ailments, Eczema Ayurveda treatment is satisfactory and holistic. This means, when you take up the eczema treatment, you are recommended natural herbs and home remedies along with medicinal formulations to relieve the skin ailment. Not only this, you are persuaded to follow hygiene and dietary instructions in the process of taking treatment. For example, the Vaidya or Ayurveda physician who is giving you the treatment would also suggest that you clean the skin patches daily with some antiseptic like a decoction prepared by boiling the leaves of Neem tree. Also in your diet, you would be advised to include bitter items like turmeric and bitter gourd that actually aid in blood purification.
Herbs for Eczema
Some of the herbs that are recommended both for internal as well as external use in the Ayurveda treatment are Neem, Turmeric, Wheat grass and Trifla, or the three Myrobalans, i.e. Harad, Baheda and Aamla.
Home Remedies for Eczema
- You need to pound some raw turmeric and make this into a paste by adding little amounts of water. This paste may be applied locally at the site of eczema eruptions and patches. Also, the eczema treatment may be exceedingly amicable when turmeric is taken internally. You can take half to one teaspoonful of turmeric powder twice with warm milk or water.
- Another home remedy for eczema is the use of the herb of wheat grass. For this purpose, you may apply the juice of wheat grass onto the affected skin. Wheat grass acts as a blood purifier and also natural antiseptic. This is why Ayurveda suggests taking in the recommended dose of approx. 50 ml of wheatgrass juice at least twice a day.
- Eczema Ayurveda treatment incorporates the use of bitter herbs that provide antiseptic cover as well as work as natural blood purifiers. As another home remedy for eczema, you may take two or three juvenile leaves of Neem. Pound them along with 2 or 3 black peppercorns or kali mirch and make into small balls. You need to take one or two balls of these Neem balls on an empty stomach twice or thrice a day. It is also suggested that you wash the affected area of the skin with a decoction of Neem or Trifla.
- Another home remedy for eczema makes a good external application paste made with the herb of Snuhi. You need to cut and fill the stem of the herb called Snuhi with paste prepared by pounding mustard seeds. Cover the same with clay and cook on fire. Then, remove from fire and allow self-cooling. Mix it in mustard oil and apply locally at the site of skin infection of eczema. This makes a good Ayurveda home remedy for eczema.
There are a number of Ayurveda eczema medicines that have been included in eczema treatment. For example, eczema medicines like Paradadi Malham, Rasa Manikya, Shudh Gandhaka , Mahamanjeesthaadi Quath and Khadirarishta would be beneficial in the eczema treatment. Although, it is strongly recommended that you take the Ayurveda eczema medicines under the supervision of a qualified Vaidya or Ayurvedic doctor.
When you are taking an eczema treatment, you could find the cure quicker by taking care of some lifestyle factors.
- Washing the skin eruptions once or twice a day and keeping the area dry would be of aid in relieving eczema.
- When you are taking eczema medicines or herbs and home remedies for eczema, it is always considered imperative to keep your bowels clean. In case you find yourself constipated, you need to take some mild to moderate natural laxative like Trifla powder at bedtime.
- Also, use of synthetic clothing needs to be avoided.
About the Author
Dr Sonica Krishan is an Author, Freelance Health Writer, Editor, Ayurveda Consultant at Herboveda and Holistic Healing Coach based at Chandigarh, India. She has a Bachelors in Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery and also an Advance Diploma in Naturopathy and Yoga. She has authored three natural home cure books: Herbal Healers, Home Remedies, and Healing Through Ayurveda. You may contact her at email@example.com or visit her website http://www.herboveda.co.in.
Note – Information presented in this article is solely for the purpose of imparting education on Ayurveda and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or mitigate any disease. If you have a medical condition, please consult a qualified health professional.